We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click accept my preferences we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. Visit our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy for more information about managing your cookies.

Current preferences

You are here:DisordersI need urgent help, I'm feeling suicidal

I need urgent help, I'm feeling suicidal

When you’re feeling suicidal it is important to connect and tell someone.

It is possible to access support.

You could talk to someone you know like a member of your family, a work colleague or a friend. Or you could call a helpline or talk to a professional.

It’s not always easy to open up but it is worth it.

"I have already harmed myself”

If you have already harmed yourself, call 999 and ask for an ambulance or go straight to your nearest A&E.

Or if possible, ask someone else to call 999 or take you to A&E.

You will be taken to a safe place either by an ambulance or a police vehicle.

“I need to talk to someone now”

If you are feeling extremely distressed and experiencing suicidal feelings, talking to someone can help.

When you call the Samaritans you will get to talk to someone who is trained, non-judgemental and compassionate. You can share how you’re feeling and explore what’s going on for you.

"I have experienced or witnessed something traumatic"

“I feel at risk of harming myself”

If thoughts around suicide are consuming, there are a number of options for keeping safe:

  1. Go to your nearest A&E department at your local hospital
  2. Call 999 and ask for an ambulance - you will be taken to a safe place either by an ambulance or a police vehicle
  3. Get help at home with your local crisis team (read more about how to do this below)

"I want help in my own home”

Your local crisis resolution and home treatment team can support you at your home while you’re having a mental health crisis.

  • “I am already receiving NHS mental health care”: If you are already being seen by your local NHS services, you should have a crisis plan that tells you who to call when you’re in crisis.
  • “I am not currently receiving NHS mental health care”: Most crisis teams will only help you if you have been referred to them by a professional. You can ask your GP to refer you to your local crisis resolution and home treatment team. Some crisis teams in the UK will help you without a referral, you will be able to find out whether this is the case where you live by visiting your local NHS trust website.

What is a local crisis team?

Many people find this option preferable to going into A&E or calling 999 as you can stay at home.

A crisis team is made up of lots of different types of mental health professionals all working to support you like a psychiatrist, mental health nurses, social workers and support workers.

Inside your own home, your local crisis team is there to:

  • Explore and listen to your needs
  • Help you with managing any risks of being at home
  • Support you in deciding whether you would benefit from care in a different environment (inpatient, crisis house)
  • Look at therapeutic strategies you can use to help yourself
  • Offer practical guidance
  • De-escalate intense and overwhelming situations
  • Manage and administer medication
  • Refer you to other support agencies/services
  • Visit you regularly or when needed